Sunday, March 15, 2009

As long as we have dreams



Photos by Sarah Hermans

This weekend has been so grey and rainy all the happiness seems to have been washed away in the downpour. I've spent most of my spare time traipsing around the extemily wet city in my winter clothes (only recently uncovered from their burial place at the back of my closet), trying to get my spirits up despite the colourlessness and the ill-fortune it seems to bring.

I blame the rain for:

- Making my sewing machine skitz when I was hurriedly trying to alter one of my warm skirts before leaving the house today.

- Filling up my shoes with water as soon as I stepped out into the open (they're so overworn there are holes in the soles).

- The seven years bad luck I have garnered after stepping on, and shattering, a full-length mirror on Saturday night.

All I want to do is curl up in the warmth and safety of my bed and listen to the rain beat against the roof. I love the fuzzy feeling you get when sheltering from a storm. It reminds me of the magic and security of childhood blanket cubby-houses and pillow fortresses.

The lovely Sarah Hermans' photos take me back to just those memories. Don't they just make you want to hide from the rest of the world under your doona?

I think I'll go and do that now! Theres a lovely Pride and Prejudice show on tonight I could forget myself in...
xS

2 comments:

Maureen said...

It's been raining off and on here in New York lately, but it'd necessary - you need it more than we do - or how else will we wash our hair? I found you following Accidental Mysteries, and would like to invite you to my sites. You can pop from one to the other, although maureendonegal.blogspot.com is the primary one. Please have a look and let me know what you think.

Anna Wallace said...

i tagged you... have a lovely day!