Friday, February 13, 2009

Stella Loves: Wuthering Heights



Your Routine Smells Stale, originally uploaded by Chrissie White.

I've been working so much lately I've scarcely had the time to sit down, let alone immerse myself in a classic novel. So I was skeptical when I started Wuthering Heights, and worried that I wouldn't be able to give myself the time I really needed to let the beautiful story draw me into its pages.

How wrong I was.

Wuthering Heights is my favourite read this year. And considering this year's kind of young, probably most of last year as well. I always have a book on the go, but I haven't enjoyed a novel this much in a long time.

Cathy and Heathcliff's destructive romance is captivating. What a perfect, if slightly unnerving, novel to finish the night before Valentine's.

Speaking of Valentine's, if you want something lovely to do with your special someone, or just want a major distraction from all the sickening lovey-dovey-ness and over-priced tacky gifts (as I always do), there are some events in Melbourne city perfect to fill your day.

Today, in the Degraves subway, is the INTERNATIONAL LITERATURE CONSPIRACY WEEK!!! How cool is that? Its been going on all week, filled with ziney creative types, and lots of lovely readable, inspirational things. Yay!!!!

ALICE EUPHEMIA is also ending their fanstamagorical three day sale today, if you need some retail therapy after enduring all the day's couples. And with the likes of David Bowie on their sale signs, why wouldn't you want to go?

As for now, I'm going back to my novel. My current read is 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance' by Robert M Pirsig.

1 comment:

Joyti said...

O yes, Wuthering Heights is an amazing book...and one of my favorites of all time.