Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Lovely...



Photos by: sneeze frost

I came across this beautiful and sadly obsolete word today:

Apricity: The warmth of the sun in winter

Sometimes I wonder if my perception of life would be different if my vocabulary was different, if I had more specific words to apply to different sets of feelings, emotions and occurrences. Would the subtleties I experience pass unnoticed if I could not assign specific words to each?

Perhaps each language you learn adds another layer to your perception of reality.

Sorry for the dime-store philosophy. Its usually one of my biggest pet peeves.

I also came across these lovely photographs on Flickr. sneeze frost's abandoned buildings are so haunting I felt they in some way reflected my mood (which is basically the result of listening to CocoRosie all day) and I love the way he captures light. There are so many beautiful things on his photostream I couldn't show you all my favourites.

xS

5 comments:

Joyti said...

I am bilingual, and I feel that there some terms that exist in one language that don't in the other...
Your word of the day reminds me of the name of one of my favorite perfumes...Apres L'Ondee (after the rain in French).
Also...the photographs are just so amazing!!!

Anonymous said...

love love love the photos. they really are haunting, but have this mysteriousness that really draws you in.
xoxo,
Micaela

this wheel's on fire said...

wow those photos!! i love that word. i never knew it existed until now, so thanks! xo

Lauren said...

love the first picture, its so haunting

Millie said...

The first photograph is entrancingly beautiful
x